Mar 05, 2018
STC announces collaboration with Nokia for a 5G network Launch in 2018
STC and Nokia have announced today that they are collaborating to launch the STC 5G network in 2018. They agreed to collectively work towards finding the most optimal network strategy and relevant use-cases for 5G deployment in the Saudi market. As a first step, hundreds of 5G base stations are planned to be deployed in the Western region in the Kingdom (Makkah, Madinah and Yanbu). The 5G collaboration aims to use Nokia’s equipment and solutions, including 5G-ready AirScale platform and AirFrame data center for the network launch. The unique combination of high-speed and low-latency in 5G technology opens up a number of new and exciting Use-cases such as: Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, connected cars, industrial Robots, remote Healthcare, etc. Acting STC Group CEO, Nasser Al Nasser said: “We have been working closely with Nokia over the last 20 years. It is a testimony for this successful partnership that we have decided to collaborate with Nokia for this critical launch, with the aim of making 5G a reality in 2018. We are confident that Nokia’s proven expertise and technology leadership in 5G will work in our favor and will help us in deploying a pioneering and innovative 5G services.” Amr K. El Leithy, Head of Middle East and Africa Market at Nokia, said: “We have defined a 5G Future X portfolio that draws on our research across radio, optics, IP and software technologies. Our market-leading, end-to-end portfolio including Nokia AirScale radio and the Nokia AirFrame datacenter solution will allow STC to evolve its network, managing 4G demands today and the 5G demands of the future. Working together with STC, we will leverage our technology expertise to define the strategies and services that will help STC achieve its vision 2020.”
- Inauguration of the First Digital STC Store in KSA Offering Services 24 hours
- Saudi Telecom Company (STC) has been elected to the GSMA Board, the world's largest mobile organization
- Tarig Enaya at the Future Investment Initiative: 10 Billion to Be Invested in Smart Cities in the Next Four Years
- STC’s Net Income for Q3 2018 compared to the comparable quarter last year and the 2nd quarter this year increased by 2.9% & 8.1% (respectively), and it distributes SR 1 per share dividends for the 3rd quarter.
- Future Investment Initiative: Al-Nasser urged to innovation and investment to accelerate digital transformation