Apr 02, 2017
Saudi Telecom Company (STC) announces record throughputs in its 4G LTE Network through the successful deployment of Massive MIMO technology, in joint partnership with Huawei.
As the first operator in the Middle East and North Africa, STC announces the successful experiment of Massive MIMO (multiple-input and multiple-output) technology on its existing 4G-LTE network, utilizing 2.3GHz spectrum band.
In its ambitious testing in Dammam, STC used 20MHz of spectrum in the 2.3GHz band on the TDD network. It managed to achieve a peak cell downlink throughput of 677Mbps, which is approximately six times the current/traditional TDD network speed.
Massive MIMO is accepted as one of the core innovative technologies in the future 5G network. This concept has been used by STC and Huawei to boost the existing 4G LTE network throughputs, in order to provide superior customer experience and unprecedented network speeds. Massive MIMO technology uses a large number of antennas and beam forming to enhance spectrum utilization among multiple user equipment (UEs) to improve end user experience.
Eng. Nasser Al Nasser, SVP, STC Technology & Operations, said: “Once again, STC’s partnership with Huawei delivers new and unprecedented results. This great result will in no doubt enable STC to meet the explosive growth in demand for high-quality data services. We look forward to strengthening our pioneering position in the region through successful deployment of the Massive MIMO technology. As a technology pioneering company in the region, STC is proud to see such successful network developments, which will ultimately translate to improved customer experience and delivery of highest possible quality of service.”
- A Partnership Between STC incubator “InspireU” and “Careem” to Support Entrepreneurs
- STC Net Income for the 2nd quarter increased 7.9% to reach SR 2.4 billion
- Governor of Qassim: STC is our strategic partner in implementing our new technical initiative
- STV being established with $500 million from STC
- As first service provider in the Middle East and North Africa, STC announces the successful trial of innovative 5G technologies